Posted on June 15, 2017
Welcome to Mrs. Di Marcello’s Second Grade!
Grade 2 conducting their research for their in class projects!
Questions or Concerns? Email me at: email@example.com.
Scholastic On Line ORDER USE Code: LX8X2
Only Healthy snacks permitted during Snack Time.
Check your child’s HOME folder everyday.
Monday: Computers & Spanish
Download Reading Log Recording Sheet (pdf)
Students are working on their culminating activity on how technology, communication, and transportation have changed from the past to the present. Students read articles based on transportation and technology identifying how communities have changed and improved communication. Students are observing illustrations and timelines from the past and comparing them to the present. ?This week our class had a special visit from Senior System Engineer, Mr. Di Marcello. He discussed ways how technology and transportation have improved over time. In addition, he discussed the roles of an engineer and how engineers solve problems to make things work better and faster. Finally he worked with each group observing their plan in creating a moveable mobile of transportation for the future. Our second visitor was Mr. Hawthrone from The New York Historical Museum. Students examined artifacts from the past and discussed how transportation has changed over time. Students are getting ready to begin building their future model of transportation!
Summer Reading TIPS!
- Set aside a regular family time to read and/or read aloud.
- Read to your children. Share a good book!
- Make a special day to visit your local library or book store to borrow/purchase reading books over the summer.
- Let your child see you reading for pleasure.
- Always discuss with your child what he/she is reading.
- Continue to use the reading reflection questions over the summer.
In Religion, students discussed that Catholics belong to parish communities. Just as Jesus is the sacrament of God, a visible sign of an invisible God, so the Church is the sacrament of the risen Christ. Students discussed that Catholics are united where we worship together, work together to help others, and celebrate the sacraments. At home discuss with your child, the name of the parish you belong to. Dont forget to take your child to Mass on Sundays.
In Social Studies, students discussed how people may start a business to make money. Then students discussed that some businesses provide goods, such as food, clothing, or electronics. Finally, students broke up into groups and discussed how children might start a business, too.
In Mathematics, students continued using models to review Math concepts.
Activities At Home (Geometry)
- Look for 2-D and 3-D shapes around your house and community.
- Compare 2-D and 3-D shapes. Look for the 2-D shapes that make up the 3-D shapes.
- Talk about the shapes of foods that are eaten. For example, oranges are spheres.
- Talk about the shapes of containers in stores. For example, cans are cylinders and boxes are rectangular prisms or cubes.
Below is a helpful website you can use at home with your child to review over the summer.
Below is a math review packet you can download and print to use over the summer. Select the topics your child is interested in completing.
Summer Math Suggestions:
- Tell time in five minute intervals.
- Practice addition and subtraction. EX: 14+6=20 and 18-9=9
- Review addition and subtraction doubles. EX: 8+8=16, 9+9=18
- Compare monetary values. Add those coins!
- Allow students to measure ingredients.
- Estimate distance while traveling. Keep a journal.
- Use these estimates to create word problems.
- Estimate the amount of stores in an area.
- Use comparisons: (more than, less than, and same)
- Play strategy games. Use a deck of cards or dice to add or subtract amounts.
- Look for shapes in surroundings.
- Visit websites!
|ixl.com some helpful sites below.
Summer Review: Be sure to complete the DWCA summer packet that can be downloaded from the DWCA website.
Half Day: June 22-23, 2017 12:00PM
End of the Year Class Party: June 21st.
School Mass 9 AM 6/22.
Class Play: June 22nd from 10:00-10:15 AM
Last Day of School: Friday, June 23, 2017
Have a Wonderful Summer!!!!!!!
Posted on June 13, 2017
Read & Log
Empty out folder.
Wear red, white, blue tomorrow